Loading articles...

Crown seeking to revoke Const. Forcillo's bail; officer remains in custody

Last Updated Nov 17, 2017 at 1:08 pm EDT

Const. James Forcillo arrives at court in Toronto on Jan. 25, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

The Crown is seeking to revoke the bail of a Toronto police officer convicted of attempted murder in the death of a teen on an empty streetcar.

Const. James Forcillo was sentenced to six years in prison for the 2013 shooting of Sammy Yatim, but had been out on bail while appealing his conviction.

On Wednesday, Forcillo was arrested and charged with breaching the conditions of his bail.

The officer appeared briefly in a north Toronto court on Friday, where the Crown said it has asked the Court of Appeal to revoke Forcillo’s bail.

A prosecutor said the Crown is waiting for the outcome of that revocation application before it proceeds with Forcillo’s charge of failing to comply with recognizance that was laid in relation to his bail breach.

Forcillo is scheduled to return to court on Nov. 30 and will remain in custody until then. He’s being held at Toronto’s South Detention Centre.

“We may be in a position now that he remains in jail until the appeal is heard,” admitted Forcillo’s lawyer, Peter Brauti.

“It’s very difficult any time an officer is placed in custody because of course he’s with those people who he previously was investigating … and officers aren’t treated very well in jail by the other inmates because of that so it’s an extremely difficult situation for him,” Brauti added.

Forcillo was found guilty last year of attempted murder but was acquitted of the more serious charge of second-degree murder for shooting 18-year-old Yatim multiple times. He was sentenced to six years behind bars, a year more than the mandatory minimum.

Yatim’s killing set off a wave of public outrage and protests after a video of the shooting went viral.

Below is a look back at our live reporting during Forcillo’s sentencing. For a mobile-friendly version, click here.

Documents obtained by CityNews reveal Forcillo is engaged to be married next March and he was petitioning the courts to live with his girlfriend when he was arrested.

Forcillo and his wife divorced in July and while they remain on good terms and co-parent two children, his father-in-law says the current living situation is difficult.


Related stories:

Const. James Forcillo arrested for breaching bail conditions: SIU

Appeal trial continues for Toronto cop convicted in Yatim death

Forcillo sentenced to six years for Yatim shooting death