Ontario reported a new all-time high of 939 new COVID-19 cases on Friday.
That comes just one day after the province set new highs for cases and tests processed.
Toronto remains the virus hotspot, with 336 new cases, followed by 150 in Peel, and 126 in Ottawa.
The news comes just over a week after provincial officials warned that new case counts would surge past 1,000 in the early part of October.
The province says 44,914 tests were processed in the last 24 hour period, a decrease from Thursday’s record number of 48,488 tests. There are currently more than 58,000 backlogged tests.
Five more deaths were also recorded, bringing the total to just under 3,000 across the province.
The number of hospitalizations continues to rise, up to 225 from 206 the previous day. The number of patients in the ICU and on ventilators remained unchanged.
Dr. Eileen De Villa, Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health, has been urging the province to enact further restrictions in order to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the city.
Toronto mayor John Tory says he’s alarmed by the numbers and knows changes need to be made.
“You cannot just look at these numbers – hundreds and hundreds of people, now approaching a thousand in a day getting the virus in Ontario and 300 plus in the City of Toronto and you look at the pattern that’s happened over the last month or so and say to yourself that what’s going on is good enough. We have to do more,” he said during a transit announcement Friday morning.
Groups like the Ontario Hospital Association and Registered Nurses’ Association have also called for targeted restrictions in hot spot regions. Those include closing indoor table service in restaurants, closing bars, gyms and places of worship.
Premier Doug Ford is holding a cabinet meeting this morning at Queen’s Park amid reports that further restrictions in virus hotspots are being considered.
NEW: @qpcamera questions Premier Ford about increased restrictions as he enters his office. Premier says an announcement is coming at 2:30 and he "didn't sleep a wink last night" Ford has been reluctant to close indoor dining due to fears it will destroy businesses. #covid19 pic.twitter.com/JvpfB8kpqE
— Cynthia Mulligan (@CityCynthia) October 9, 2020