Loading articles...

OPP ends shelter-in-place order on Manitoulin Island; manhunt continues

Last Updated May 8, 2021 at 11:16 pm EDT

Ontario Provincial Police cruiser. (FILE/CITYNEWS)

Ontario Provincial Police have lifted a shelter-in-place order for the Manitoulin Island region.

Police originally asked residents to stay in their homes Saturday as they searched for a 32-year-old man following an alleged incident earlier in the day.

People were also being asked to stay away from M’Chigeeng First Nation and Highway 551 leading into the community.

Sgt. Carlo Berardi says the incident developed in the morning and police are still looking for the suspect, though he did not share further details about what happened.

Police said there is no believed public safety risk, however, investigators said to not approach the suspect and to contact law enforcement immediately if spotted.