The former commander of CFB Trenton accused of murdering two women and sexually assaulting two others plans to plead guilty to all charges against him, according to a published report Thursday.
According to the Globe and Mail, the Crown and lawyers representing Col. Russell Williams reached an agreement, paving the way for a guilty plea on dozens of charges.
On Thursday 82 new charges were filed against Williams. The majority of them are connected to alleged burglaries in Tweed, Ont., where Williams had a cottage, and the Ottawa and Belleville areas.
Williams is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of 27-year-old Belleville resident Jessica Lloyd earlier this year and 38-year-old Marie France Comeau, a corporal with CFB Trenton’s 437 squadron, who was killed last November.
Both women were asphyxiated.
He’s also accused of sexually assaulting two other women during alleged home invasions in Tweed last September. Those victims claimed they were bound, blindfolded and photographed during the attacks.
Williams, who was arrested in early February, appeared in a Belleville court Thursday morning via video link on the 82 new charges. His case was remanded until June 24.
Forty-six of the new counts, which date back to the fall of 2007, are related to alleged incidents in Tweed, Ont., 34 from the Ottawa area and two from Belleville, police said. The burglaries happened in women’s homes and lingerie was reportedly stolen.
One of the homes was reportedly Comeau’s.
“Those who had their houses burglarized, they’re going to feel very violated, knowing that this person was in their home and they’re going to ask themselves, ‘could it have been me,'” former Toronto Police detective Bruce Smollett said.
Williams tried to commit suicide over the Easter weekend by stuffing a toilet paper roll filled with foil down his throat. He used mustard to scrawl a suicide note on his cell wall at the Quinte Detention Centre in Napanee, Ont.
Shortly after that he went on a hunger strike, but he’s reportedly started eating again.