Loading articles...

Missing grandfather, 2 grandkids found safe following Amber Alert

Last Updated Jul 11, 2019 at 6:54 am EDT

An Amber Alert has been cancelled for two young boys after they were found safe with their grandfather.

Police said the three were found during a traffic stop in Etobicoke around 4:30 a.m. Thursday. All three are in good health.

York regional police said the 70-year-old grandfather, who had the children aged two and four in the van with him, dropped off his wife for an appointment at a plaza across the street from Southlake Regional Health Centre on Davis Drive in Newmarket. He was supposed to park the van but drove away from the area.

Police initially said they were not initially concerned for the safety of the children and this was likely a case of someone who had become lost.

The alert was issued around 3 a.m. Thursday after police said they had exhausted all investigative options.

Police said this was not a case of child abduction. Instead, they were concerned for the grandfather’s medical state and for the children’s safety, adding it was abnormal for him to be missing for such an extended period of time.

Join the conversation

Please read our commenting policies

@Bardia K: you are correct. I don’t mind getting an alert, but the noise is ridiculous. So far this has happened at night. What happens when it goes off during the day with people at work and children at school. Could you imagine the disruption for an alert 1000’s km away.

I have taken to turning my cell phone off at night, and informed my family if there is an emergency call the home phone.

I’m happen they found grandpa and kids safe and sound.

July 12, 2019 at 9:10 am