Loading articles...

Parents call on province to resume full-time classes in September

Last Updated Jul 23, 2020 at 1:23 pm EDT

Queen's Park in Toronto as seen in an undated file photo. CITYNEWS/Hugues Cormier
Summary

Group calls on the province "to commit to funding plans for a safe reopening of full-time school this September


Last month the province announced it was looking at three possible scenarios for the return to class in September


Toronto District School Board and Halton District School Board have spoken out against the hybrid learning option


A group of parents and educators who want to see classes come back full time in the fall will take their message to Queen’s Park on Wednesday.

A rally is set to take place at 10 a.m. in front of the legislature.

The group says they are calling on the province and the Ministry of Education “to commit to funding plans for a safe reopening of full-time school this September.”

Last month the province announced it was looking at three possible scenarios for the return to class in September, which will likely see a mix of in-class and remote learning.

Classes would contain no more than 15 students each, attending on alternating days or weeks.

The group say they rejected the hybrid model, stating it will force working parents to choose between educating their children and their own livelihood. They also believe the online learning model should be used as a short-term, emergency measure.

Both the Toronto District School Board and the Halton District School Board have spoken out against the province’s hybrid learning option.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce said boards are being asked to prepare plans for three scenarios: regular in-class instruction with public health protocols, fully remote learning, and a plan that blends the two approaches.

The province is expected to announce its official plans for the fall semester next month.