SIU updates probe into fatal shooting of 1-year-old boy in Kawartha Lakes as anniversary nears
Posted November 23, 2021 3:49 pm.
Last Updated November 24, 2021 9:18 am.
A 1-year old boy was killed by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) gunfire almost one year ago in a high-profile case that could be reaching its conclusion.
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) went to the extreme to get the FBI involved with forensic testing of ballistic evidence. Now, those test results are in, but the SIU says it cannot reveal what they show to protect the investigation’s integrity.
“The SIU recognizes the one-year anniversary of this case is approaching and is moving as quickly as it can to bring the investigation to resolution,” Ontario’s police watchdog said in a statement on Tuesday.
The SIU has received the results from the FBI ballistic tests from the fatal shooting of a 1-year old boy in Kawartha Lakes. This Friday marks one year since the boy was killed by OPP gunfire while officers were stopping a suspected parental abduction. @CityNewsTO pic.twitter.com/zfuRHFnAgQ
— Mark Douglas (@DouglasCityNews) November 23, 2021
This Friday marks the one-year anniversary of this tragedy just outside Lindsay, Ont, where Kawartha Lakes OPP used a spike-belt to stop a pick-up truck in a suspected parental abduction case from the Peterborough area.
During the Nov. 26 incident, a 33-year-old father — in possession of a gun — had his one-year-old son in the truck with him when gunfire was exchanged. The boy died that day, and the father was pronounced dead about a week later.
SIU spokesperson Kristy Denette tells CityNews they’re currently reviewing “expert analysis” from the FBI in the United States.
“It’s related to some forensic analysis,” Denette said on Tuesday.
“It would be very rare for the SIU to reach out to the FBI… I don’t think this has been done before, but in this particular case, it has been a major investigation. A complex investigation that requires dozens of interviews and very complex forensic examination, so the investigative team at the SIU felt it necessary to get the FBI involved.”
Denette says the analysis is in its final stages, but a timeline on charges, if any, is unclear. The SIU had already said it was OPP gunfire that killed the boy.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person.