Alphonso Davies to miss upcoming 2022 World Cup qualifiers due to myocarditis

By Sportsnet Staff and The Associated Press

Alphonso Davies will miss Canada’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers due to mild myocarditis developed after a bout with COVID-19.

Canada Soccer confirmed the news Friday after Bayern Munich Head Coach Julian Nagelsmann announced the left back was sidelined with evidence of heart muscle inflammation following his coronavirus infection.

Davies will miss a trio of matches in the Concacaf Final Round of FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, set to take place in the 10-day FIFA international window from Jan. 24 to Feb. 2.

The first of those three matches will take place on Jan. 27 in San Pedro Sula, Honduras followed by a home game on Jan. 30 in Hamilton, Ontario. Canada then has an away match in San Salvador on Feb. 2.

Davies will be out of action for at least “the coming weeks” after the inflammation was detected in a follow-up examination after his return to training this week, Nagelsmann said. The coach described the inflammation as “mild” and “not so dramatic,” citing the results of an ultrasound examination.

“Despite that, it needs to heal and that will definitely take a certain amount of time,” Nagelsmann said.

Myocarditis is a mild, temporary condition in the vast majority of cases, according to experts. Health Canada says, while there are many potential causes of myocarditis and pericarditis, they can occur as a complication in people who are infected with the virus that causes COVID-19.

Bayern said last week that Davies had tested positive and he was back in training on Wednesday. Nagelsmann said Davies would now stop training until further notice to give his body time to recover.

Bayern leads the Bundesliga and plays Cologne on Saturday.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today