Four Toronto streets crack CAA’s top 10 worst roads in Ontario. Here’s the list
Posted May 30, 2023 6:15 am.
Last Updated May 30, 2023 6:58 pm.
Four well-known Toronto streets have cracked this year’s lamentable top 10 worst roads in Ontario, according to the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA).
The CAA’s backgrounder, aptly titled 20 Years of Worst Roads, is described as “a platform for Ontarians to make our roads safer by helping different levels of government understand what roadway improvements are important to citizens and where they need to be made.”
Barton Street East in Hamilton, Ont., was marked as the worst road in 2023, while Toronto had the most provincial streets (four) on the top 10 list.
The Top 10 CAA Worst Roads in Ontario:
1. Barton Street East, Hamilton
2. Eglinton Avenue West, Toronto
3. County Road 49, Prince Edward County
4. Carling Avenue, Ottawa
5. Finch Avenue West, Toronto
6. Laclie Street, Orillia
7. Steeles Avenue East, Toronto
8. Aberdeen Avenue, Hamilton
9. Lakeshore Boulevard East, Toronto
10. Hurontario Street, Mississauga
The Hamilton, Ont. road first appeared on the CAA’s top 10 list in 2019 and has climbed to the top for the second year in a row.
A CAA spokesperson explained why it was ultimately regarded as the worst road in the province.
“Barton Street’s persistent issues with potholes and severe alligator cracking in the pavement have led to its dubious distinction,” the CAA said in a news release.
Four new roads have debuted on this year’s top 10 list, including Laclie Street in Orillia, Steeles Avenue East in Toronto, Aberdeen Avenue in Hamilton and Hurontario Street in Mississauga.
The CAA says many of the nominated roads have undergone or are undergoing significant improvements. A spokesperson with the city alluded to that, too.
“In 2023, the city has budgeted approximately $426 million to rehabilitate and improve Toronto’s transportation infrastructure,” they said.
“Additionally, the City has dedicated $4.6 million this year for its comprehensive pothole repair program that so far has seen the repair of more than 88,000 potholes across the city.”
Other top 10 worst roads lists shared by the CAA
Worst Roads by Region:
- Central — Laclie Street, Orillia
- Eastern — County Road 49, Prince Edward County
- Halton-Peel-York-Durham — Hurontario Street, Mississauga
- Niagara — Portage Road, Niagara Falls
- North — Algonquin Boulevard East, Timmins
- Southwest — Lauzon Parkway, Windsor
- Western — York Road, Guelph
- Ottawa — Carling Avenue, Ottawa
Top Ontario CAA Worst Roads over the last 20 years:
- Barton Street East, Hamilton (2023 & 2022)
- Victoria Road, Prince Edward County (2021)
- Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto (2019)
- Burlington Street East, Hamilton (2017, 2018)
- County Road 49, Prince Edward County (2016)
- Algonquin Boulevard West, Timmins (2015)
- Dufferin Street, Toronto (2012,2013, 2014
- Pelican Road, Municipality of Sioux Lookout (2010)
- Steeles Avenue West, Toronto (2008, 2009)
- Vermillion Lake Road, City of Greater Sudbury (2007)
- Cardwell Road, Township of Assiginack (2006)
- Steeles Avenue West, Toronto (2003, 2005)
- Albert Street, Township of Norwich, Oxford County (2004)
Toronto CAA Worst Roads over the last 20 years:
- Eglinton Avenue West (2022 & 2023)
- Eglinton Avenue East (2019, 2021)
- Eglinton Avenue West (2018)
- Dufferin Street (2017)
- Bayview Avenue (2016)
- Dufferin Street (2012 – 2015)
- Lawrence Avenue (2010)
- Steeles Avenue West (2005 – 2009)
- Bathurst Street (2004)
Hamilton CAA Worst Roads over the last 20 years:
- Barton Street East (2019 – 2023)
- Burlington Street East (2009 – 2018)
- Stone Church Road (2008)
- 8th Concession Road West, Flamborough
- Buchanan Street (2005)
Top Ottawa CAA Worst Roads over the last 20 years:
- Carling Avenue (2018 – 2023)
- Hunt Club Road (2017)
- Carling Avenue (2009 – 2015)
- Limebank Road (2006 – 2008)
- Carling Avenue (2005)
- Limebank Road (2004)