Loading articles...

New Rob Ford video surfaces: ‘I need f---ing 10 minutes to make sure he's dead’

The Toronto Star published a video that shows Toronto Mayor Rob Ford making death threats on Nov. 7, 2013.

The Toronto Star has published a video that shows Toronto Mayor Rob Ford making death threats.

“I need f—ing 10 minutes to make sure he’s dead,” Ford can be heard saying on the video, which was bought by the Toronto Star for $5,000 and posted on its website on Thursday.

The Star said the person who sold them the clip got it from the computer of someone who was with Ford at the time.

Ford immediately responded to the video at city hall on Thursday, saying he was  “very, very inebriated” and he hoped none of the reporters had ever “been in that state.” He did not say what that state was or offer any explanation.

“Again, I’ve made mistakes…it’s extremely embarrassing,” he said.

Toronto police tell CityNews they have handed the video over to their investigators.

The context of Ford’s outburst is unknown — who he is threatening, who he is speaking to or who recorded the video.

To watch the video, click here.

In the video, Ford can be heard saying, “I’m gonna kill that f—ing guy. I’m telling you, it’s first-degree murder,” the Star reported.

“I’ll rip his f—ing throat out. I’ll poke his eyes out … I’ll make sure that mother——’s dead,” he reportedly said.

On its website, the Star said it offered to show the video to members of the mayor’s inner circle on Wednesday. As of Thursday, no one had taken them up on the offer. The Star then posted the video online.

 

Earlier this week, after admitting he smoked crack cocaine, Ford famously said he had “nothing left to hide.”

About 30 minutes before the Star’s story, The Toronto Sun posted a five-second clip on its website.

The new video was “this week being shopped around by someone looking to make thousands of dollars,” the Toronto Sun reported. While the newspaper did not purchase the video or enter into negotiations, the newspaper did received two clips “which appear to show the mayor impaired and in an apparent rage and in an inebriated state.”

Watch the Toronto Sun video below:

The Toronto Sun said that “a source close to the mayor” confirmed it was Ford in the tape and that it “looks a lot worse than it is.”

Coun. Giorgio Mammoliti, a former Ford ally, said in a statement Thursday the mayor needs help.

“In light of the latest video that has surfaced … I have grown more concerned and fear for his health now more then [sic] ever. If it is in their power, the Mayor’s family needs to intervene and attempt to get him to a drug rehabilitation centre,” he said.

“I fear that if the Mayor does not get help now he will succumb to health issues related to addiction,” Mammoliti said, adding he would be supporting deputy mayor Norm Kelly and the executive committee for the remainder of the term.

CityNews asked Ford’s lawyer if it would benefit the mayor to take a break.

“Obviously it would benefit them if they needed to take a break,” Dennis Morris said.

“Let’s hope for the best in the future because he’s a fantastic mayor. We just need him to stay healthy in every way emotionally and physically and every way possible so he could be a good father, a good mayor and a good husband.”

Last week, police Chief Bill Blair said investigators had recovered another video — first reported in May — showing Ford apparently smoking crack cocaine.

Many friends and supporters have been urging Ford to step aside and seek help. Others have called on the mayor to resign.

Earlier on Thursday, a visibly upset Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, a longtime friend of the Ford family, said the mayor had to make his own decision about what to do.

With files from The Canadian Press