Paul Bernardo day-parole hearing tentatively set for March
Posted October 31, 2016 4:37 pm.
Last Updated October 31, 2016 6:48 pm.
This article is more than 5 years old.
He is one of the most vilified serial killers in Canadian history and in just a few short months Paul Bernardo could be walking the streets again.
CityNews has learned that a day-parole hearing has been tentatively set for Bernardo this March.
This will be his first hearing – as earlier dates have previously been adjourned.
Although Bernardo has been designated a dangerous offender with an indefinite sentence, he became eligible for day parole after serving 22 years behind bars.
In 1993, Bernardo, who was 28 at the time, was arrested and charged in connection with the kidnapping, rape and murder of Leslie Mahaffy, 14, and Kristen French, 15.
His then wife Karla Homolka was also charged and convicted of manslaughter in relation to the crimes after striking a controversial plea bargain to testify against Bernardo.
The two also drugged and raped Homolka’s 15-year-old sister Tammy, who died the next day after choking on her own vomit.
In 2005, Homolka was released after serving a 12-year sentence. She is reportedly remarried with children and living in Quebec.
Paul Bernardo’s father says Homolka should be behind bars
Most Canadians wouldn’t move out if Homolka lived in their community: poll
Killers like Bernardo continue to ‘haunt communities’ says U of T sociologist
Amazon pulls Bernardo’s book from website
After his trial, Bernardo confessed to raping 14 more women as the Scarborough rapist. The serial rapes earned him the dangerous offender designation – a designation reserved for only Canada’s most violent offenders who show little to no chance of rehabilitation.
He has since confessed to nearly a dozen other rapes across the GTA.
If parole is granted, Bernardo, 52, would have to check into either jail or a half-way house in the evening and would only be free during the day.
Day parole is usually only granted after a series of successful escorted and unescorted temporary absences. It is unclear if Bernardo has ever been granted either of the temporary absences.