It’s been exactly one year since the lifeless bodies of Barry Sherman and his wife were found in their Toronto mansion, sending shock waves through family, friends and the business community.
The couple were last seen alive on the evening of Dec. 13, 2017 and were found by a real estate agent inside their North York home on Dec. 15, 2017. Their home had been up for sale at the time of the murders. Police said at the time there was no sign of forced entry.
The case has drawn international attention and investigators have come under intense scrutiny for their handling of the case. Police said at the time there was no sign of forced entry and initially treated the scene as a murder-suicide, indicating they were not seeking any suspects.
Autopsy results showed the couple died from “ligature neck compression.” It wasn’t until late January that police said they were treating the deaths as a double homicide.
Less than two months ago, private investigators hired by the family offered a reward of up to $10-million for information leading to an arrest and prosecution. The investigative team slammed the police investigation into the couples deaths as “below standard,” a characterization that police chief Mark Saunders pushed back against, saying no one individual was privy to the “entire investigation.” In the end, Saunders said, both sides were committed to the same objective: “We want to bring those responsible before the judicial system.”
Apotex Inc., the pharmaceutical company which was founded by the 75-year-old Sherman, paid tribute to the couple on its website on the anniversary of their deaths.