Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur is currently facing eight counts of first-degree murder, but the investigation is far from over.
According to the lead investigator on the case, Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga, dozens of cold cases are still being reviewed for a possible link to McArthur.
“(There’s) between 20 and 30 cold cases, but again we have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that links Mr. McArthur to any of those.”
Idsinga says until the cases are solved police won’t rule anything out. “There’s still officers involved reviewing cold cases,” he added.
Right now, police believe McArthur’s alleged killing spree began in 2010, when Skandaraj (Skanda) Navaratnam went missing after leaving a bar in Toronto’s gay village.
But Idsinga says “there’s always that possibility” that there are previous victims.
“It’s something we are looking at,” Idsinga said.
“There’s experts out there who say there’s no way he started in 2010, but those experts have been wrong on different aspects of the investigation as well.”
Friday marks one year since McArthur was arrested. The 67-year-old former landscaper waived his right to a preliminary hearing in October, moving the case to Superior Court.
The judge announced last month that the trial will begin in January of 2020.