With restaurants being closed to indoor and outdoor dining in both of Ontario’s COVID-19 lockdowns, 2020 has been a year that’s seen online food delivery come into its own.
Food delivery app Doordash has released it’s list of the top ten most ordered dishes this year and it looks like Ontarians couldn’t get enough of an Indian classic – butter chicken.
Doordash’s top ten food delivery orders:
- Butter Chicken
- Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken Biryani
- Chips & Guacamole
- Miso Soup
The company also compared the popularity of dishes compared to last year and mozzarella sticks and hot wings were on people’s minds and plates a lot more this year.
Doordash’s top 10 trending foods on the rise in 2020 (Compared to Data from the same year prior, 1/1/19 – 10/31/20)
- Mozzarella Sticks – 1700 per cent increase
- Hot Wings – 1440 per cent increase
- Hash Browns – 1130 per cent increase
- Quesadilla – 850 per cent increase
- Molten Chocolate Cake – 580 per cent increase
- Onion Rings – 400 per cent increase
- Nachos – 350 per cent increase
- Gyoza – 310 per cent increase
- Apple Pie – 265 per cent increase
- Dynamite Roll – 230 per cent increase
The largest single order placed on Doordash was neither mozza sticks nor butter chicken however — that title belongs to $1,087 order of Greek food.
Meanwhile on SkipTheDishes, the top three items ordered in Ontario this year were Asian dishes, burgers and pizza.
The most popular cuisines were American/Canadian (Scarborough), Italian (Niagara Falls) and Chinese (Sudbury).