With more than 500 COVID-19 patients in the province’s intensive care units (ICU), SickKids hospital is stepping in to help the strained adult health-care system.
The hospital said it’s preparing to open eight ICU beds for adults 40 and younger with COVID-19, if needed.
The recent increase of COVID-related ICU admissions has strained the adult health-care system, while ICU admissions at SickKids have remained low. As a result, we are preparing to open an eight-bed ICU for previously healthy adults with COVID-19, if needed https://t.co/VVXn5gDatn
— SickKids_TheHospital (@SickKidsNews) April 6, 2021
The patients will be transferred from GTA hospitals that have surpassed their capacity, after all potential transfers to neighbouring regions have been attempted.
The president and CEO of the Ontario Hospital Association has called the move a “watershed” moment.
In a tweet, Anthony Dale said it shows selfless leadership and underscores the gravity of the historic challenge our province now faces.
SickKids said it has the clinical expertise and physical capacity to care for adult patients, while minimizing disruption to the safe care of paediatric patients.