Ontario’s borders with Quebec and Manitoba fully reopen Wednesday.
A provincial order restricting interprovincial travel between those provinces expired at midnight.
Earlier this week, the Ford government said it would not extend the border closure, which applied to land and water borders.
Solicitor General Sylvia Jones said the decision comes after the province’s successful transition to Step One of the “Roadmap to Reopen” plan and was approved by the chief medical officer of health.
However, she added that “those entering Ontario must continue to follow the public health measures in place in the province.”
The closure went into effect on April 19, as Ontario battled a third wave of COVID-19. It prohibited travel into the province from Manitoba and Quebec with some exceptions, including if the person’s principal residence was in Ontario, the person was moving to Ontario or the person was working or studying in the province.
Travel between the regions was limited to essential reasons such as health care, custody or compassionate grounds like attending a funeral.
It also allowed law enforcement to stop and question people about their reasons for entering Ontario.